C2000 Terms and Abbreviations
From Texas Instruments Wiki
This wiki page lists various terms and abbreviations you may encounter when working with C2000 Microcontrollers.
- Analog to digital converter.
- Breakpoint. Used to halt code at a particular location while debugging. Can be either a hardware (HW) or software (SW) breakpoint.
- Central Processing Unit. By itself it is the C28x fixed-point Central Processing Unit. It supports both 16-bit and 32-bit operations.
- C28x + FPU
- The C28x CPU with 32-bit floating-point extensions. Sometimes called C28x with FPU or shortened to FPU.
- C28x + VCU
- The C28x CPU with Viterbi, Complex Math and CRC extensions. Sometimes called C28x with VCU or shortened to VCU.
- C28x + FPU + VCU
- A C28x CPU with both the floating-point and VCU extensions.
- Controller–Area Network.
- Code Composer Studio. Code Composer Studio is the integrated development environment for TI's DSPs, microcontrollers and application processors. Often the version is also included: CCS V3.3, CCS V4 or CCS V5.1.
- Code Generation Tools. This the C/C++ compiler, assembler, linker and associated tools. Often just called "codegen".
- Control Law Accelerator. The C28x Control Law Accelerator (CLA) is an independent, fully-programmable, 32-bit floating-point math processor that brings concurrent control-loop exceuction to the C28x family. The low interrupt-latency of the CLA allows it to read ADC samples "just-in-time". This significantly reduces the ADC sample to output delay to enable faster system response and higher MHz control loops. By using the CLA to service time-critical control loops, the main CPU is free to perform other system tasks such as communications and diagnostics.
- Code Generation Tools. This is the C/C++ compiler, assembler, linker and associated tools.
- Hardware, software, documentation! It is difficult to describe in a few words, so please visit the controlSUITE wiki page.
- Central Processing Unit. In C2000 we typically use this to refer to the main processor. For example, the C28x CPU.
- Code Security Module
- Direct Memory Access (C28x Peripheral). Provides a hardware method of transferring data between peripherals and/or memory without intervention from the CPU, thereby freeing up bandwidth for other system functions. Additionally, the DMA has the capability to orthogonally rearrange the data as it is transferred as well as “ping-pong” data between buffers. These features are useful for structuring data into blocks for optimal CPU processing.
- Digital Motor Control
- e2e.ti.com. TI's online community which includes forums, videos and blogs.
- Enhanced Capture Module (C28x Peripheral)
- Enhanced Pulse Width Modulation Module (C28x Peripheral)
- Enhanced Quadrature Encoder (C28x Peripheral). Used for direct interface with a linear or rotary incremental encoder to get position, direction, and speed information from a rotating machine for use in a high-performance motion and position-control system.
- A version of the Runtime Support Library (RTS) for floating-point devices. The fastRTS provides faster algorithms then the standard RTS, but at an accuracy-speed tradeoff. The fastRTS library is available in controlSUITE.
- Refers to the on-chip embedded Flash.
- Field-Oriented Control.
- Floating Point Unit. The FPU adds floating-point extensions to the main CPU instruction set.
- General purpose I/O (input/output) pin. Often pins are referred to by this name even though a peripheral function is also possible. For example GPIO0.
- Graphical User Interface
- High Resolution Capture. HRCAP measures the width of external pulses with a typical resolution within hundreds of picoseconds.
- High Resolution PWM (pulse width modulation). This is an extension available on some of the ePWM modules. The HRPWM module extends the time resolution capabilities of the conventionally derived digital pulse width modulator (PWM). HRPWM is typically used when PWM resolution falls below ~ 9-10 bits
- HW BP
- Hardware breakpoint. A breakpoint that is achieved by using resources on the device. Compare this to a software breakpoint (SW BP).
- Inter-Integrated Circuit Module. The I2C module provides an interface between one of these devices and devices compliant with Philips Semiconductors Inter-IC bus (I2C-bus) specification version 2.1 and connected by way of an I2C-bus. External components attached to this 2-wire serial bus can transmit/receive 1 to 8-bit data to/from the device through the I2C module.
- Integrated development environment. A software development environment that provides a unified set of development tools that work together (for example: Code Composer Studio IDE ).
- Inter-Processor Communication. Resources by which multiple CPUs on a single device can share information.
- Texas Instruments TMS320C28x IQmath Library is collection of highly optimized and high precision mathematical Library for C/C++ programmers to seamlessly port the floating-point algorithm into fixed point code on TMS320C28x devices. Learn more on the IQmath Library for C28x wiki page. The IQmath is library is available in controlSUITE.
- Interrupt service routine.
- Local Interconnect Network
- Low Power Mode
- Multichannel Buffered Serial Port
- One time programmable. Small block of memory that can be programmed once by the customer.
- Peripheral Frame
- On 28x devices, groups of peripheral registers are described as being within a peripheral frame. The peripheral frame will have certain characteristics such as the type of access (16 or 32-bit) as well as the wait states required to access a register.
- Peripheral Interrupt Expansion block. On C28x devices, or C28x sub-systems, the PIE multiplexes numerous peripheral interrupt sources into a smaller set of interrupt inputs to the CPU.
- Power Line Communications. See the TI PLC Suite webpage.
- Power Factor Correction
- Runtime Support Library. Included with the compiler (codegen) tools. This library includes standard C functions such as sin/cos/printf etc. The C28x Code Generation Tips and Tricks wiki page has more information on the C28x RTS library. For floating-point devices, also see the definition of the fastRTS library.
- Serial Communications Interface (C28x Peripheral). A two−wire asynchronous serial port, commonly known as a UART. The SCI modules support digital communications between the CPU and other asynchronous peripherals that use the standard non-return-to-zero (NRZ) format. The SCI receiver and transmitter each have a 4-level deep FIFO for reducing servicing overhead, and each has its own separate enable and interrupt bits. Both can be operated independently for half-duplex communication, or simultaneously for full-duplex communication. To specify data integrity, the SCI checks received data for break detection, parity, overrun, and framing errors. The bit rate is programmable to different speeds through a 16-bit baud-select register.
- Serial Peripheral Interface (C28x Peripheral). A high-speed synchronous serial input/ output (I/O) port that allows a serial bit stream of programmed length (one to sixteen bits) to be shifted into and out of the device at a programmed bit-transfer rate. The SPI is normally used for communications between the DSP controller and external peripherals or another controller. Typical applications include external I/O or peripheral expansion via devices such as shift registers, display drivers, and analog-to-digital converters (ADCs). Multi-device communications are supported by the master/slave operation of the SPI. On the C28x™, the port supports a 4-level, receive and transmit FIFO for reducing CPU servicing overhead.
- SW BP
- Software breakpoint. A breakpoint that is achieved by a development environment (such as Code Composer) inserting a particular opcode into memory in order to halt the device. On the C28x a software breakpoint is the ESTOP0 instruction. For the CLA it is the MDEBUGSTOP instruction. Note that for the CLA a software breakpoint must be part of the assembly code (Code Composer can not insert it). When a debugger is not connected, the software breakpoint opcodes behave as no-operation (NOP). Compare this to a hardware breakpoint (HW BP).
- For the Control Law Accelerator we often refer to an interrupt service routine as a Task.
- Technical Reference Manual (or Guide)
- Micro DMA or Micro Direct Memory Access
- Short for Viterbi, Complex Math and CRC Unit. The VCU adds instructions to support these operations to the main CPU instruction set.
- An asynchronous external (memory, peripheral) interface (eXternal INTerFace) for C28x devices.