Please note as of Wednesday, August 15th, 2018 this wiki has been set to read only. If you are a TI Employee and require Edit ability please contact x0211426 from the company directory.
This wiki is in maintenance mode and the information on this wiki may not be current. For questions regarding this device architecture, post questions on C64x Multi-core E2E forum
- 1 TMS320C6472 Wiki Page Content
- 1.1 What is the C6472?
- 1.2 What are the key features for C6472?
- 1.3 When should I consider C6472?
- 1.4 What applications is the C6472 targeted for?
- 1.5 What is the advantage of using C6472 in some of the mentioned applications?
- 1.6 What peripherals are available for the C6472?
- 1.7 What Analog solutions are available for the C6472?
- 1.8 What Power Management solutions are available for the C6472?
- 1.9 What software and tools are available for the C6472?
- 1.10 How do I get access to the C6472 EVM?
- 1.11 What DSP Software Libraries are available for the C6472?
- 1.12 DSP Software examples and resources
- 1.13 TI 3rd Parties: C6472 Developer Network
- 1.14 Additional Information, Training, and Support
TMS320C6472 Wiki Page Content
What is the C6472?
- A six-core, high-performance multicore DSP with the industry's best power efficiency, targeted for manufacturers of processing-intensive products on a strict power budget.
- Available with six cores running at either 500MHz, 625MHz or 700MHz, and fully backward compatible with other DSP cores, the C6472:
- Delivers up to 4.2 GHz of processing capability for high-end industrial applications and embedded systems where performance and energy efficiency are critical
- Offers the industry's lowest power consumption with 3GHz performance at 0.15mW/MIPS for support of applications that drive many channels, demand maximum performance density and advanced functionality.
- TI Whitepaper: Low Power Consumption and a Competitive Price Tag make the six-core TMS320C6472 ideal for high performance applications
What are the key features for C6472?
- Six On-Chip TMS320C64x+ Megamodules
- Endianess: Little Endian, Big Endian
- C64x+ Megamodule Main Features:
- High-Performance, Fixed-Point TMS320c64x+ DSP
- 500/625/700 MHz
- L1/L2 Memory Architecture:
- 32K-Byte L1P Program RAM/Cache [Direct Mapped, Flexible Allocation]
- 32K-Byte L1D RAM/Cache [2-Way Set-Associative, Flexible Allocation]
- 608K-Byte L2 Unified Mapped RAM/Cache [4-Way Set-Associative, Fexible Allocation]
- L1P Memory Controller
- L1D Memory Controller
- L2 Memory Controller
- EDMA Controller
- Shared Memory Architecture
- Shared L2 Memory Controller
- 768K-Byte of RAM
- Boot ROM
- Three Telecom Serial Interface Ports (TSIPs)
- Each TSIP is 8 Links of 8 Mbps per Direction
- 32-bit DDR2 Memory Controller (DDR2-533 SDRAM)
- 256 M-Byte x 2 Addressable Memory Space
- Two 1x Serial RapidIO® Links, v1.2 Compliant
- Two 10/100/1000 Mb/s Ethernet MACs (EMACs)
- 16-Bit Host-Port Interface (HPI)
- One Inter-Integrated Circuit (I2C)
- Six Shared 64-Bit General-Purpose Timers
- 16 General-Purpose I/O (GPIO) Pins
- 737-Pin Ball Grid Array (BGA) Package (ZTZ Suffix), 0.8-mm Ball Pitch
- Commercial Temperature [0°C to 85°C]
- Extended Temperature [-40°C to 100°C]
When should I consider C6472?
- If you are designing a processing intensive application but require low power and less heat
- If you are using multiple single core DSPs per board, the C6472 is a viable migration option
- If your application requires many cannels or maximum performance density
- If your application must transfer of large amounts of data on/off chip.
- If you are currently using ASICs or FPGAs, but are seeking a lower cost, software upgradeable option
- If you are designing the following targeted applications:
- Mission-critical applications such as military, aerospace, avionics, public safety, satellite and utilities systems
- High-performance video and imaging applications
- Emerging broadband and communications applications
- Test & Measurement solutions
- Cloud computing and blade servers
- High end industrial
- Multimedia server
What applications is the C6472 targeted for?
- Applications using multiple single core DSPs per board (ie. DSP farm)
- Applications that require transfer of large amounts of data on/off chip
- Applications that drive many channels, demand maximum performance density and areas where designers require access to sophisticated functions.
- Suitable applications include:
- Mission critical applications such as military, aerospace, avionics, public safety, satellite and utilities systems
- High performance video and imaging
- Emerging broadband and communications
- Test and measurement
- Cloud computing and blade servers
- High end industrial
What is the advantage of using C6472 in some of the mentioned applications?
- C6472 delivers significant improvements in performance, integration and density, along with considerable efficiencies in power, cost and board space.
- For instance, the C6472 integrates six 500 MHz DSP cores, a host of peripherals and internal memory on a compact 24mm by 24mm chip for DSP farm applications
- When compared to six C6415 DSPs, a single C6472 DSP:
- Consumes 40% less power
- Costs 2/3 less in terms of DSP-related cost
- Utilizes 80% less DSP footprint on-bard
- TI also offers a range of development tools, support and code compatibility with previous DSPs to ease customer migration, including a low cost $349 EVM to evaluate C6472 performance.
What peripherals are available for the C6472?
- Gigabit Ethernet
- Serial RapidIO (SRIO)
- Telecom Serial Interface Port (TSIP)
- Host port interface (HPI)
- Inter-Integrated Circuit Bus (I2C)
- General purpose input/output (GPIO)
What Analog solutions are available for the C6472?
To determine which TI Analog solutions are best suited for use alongside the C6472, please visit the Analog & Power for C6472 wiki page.
What Power Management solutions are available for the C6472?
The C6472 power will soon be live on TI's Analog & Power for Processors website as soon as the reference designs have been finalized. Until then below are a few devices that have been used in the designs.
The power reference designs were created with several key care-abouts in mind.
- Number of C6472's: 1x or 8x
- Input voltage range: 5V or 12V
- Type of power parts used: DCDC Converters with Integrated FETs, DCDC Controllers, or Digital Power
The C6472 require regulated Core voltages of 1.0V/1.1V and 1.2V, I/O voltages of 1.8V and 3.3V, and Analog voltages of 1.8V and 1.2V.
These voltage rails are sequenced in the following order: 1) 3.3V I/O, 2) Core voltages, 3) 1.8V I/O and Analog voltages, 4) 1.2V Analog.
Below is a sampling of the power management products that complement C6472.
|| 4.5V to 18V Input, Low Pin Count, Synchronous Buck Controller with Power Good
|| 5V Input 8A Synchronous Buck Converter with Integrated FETs and Sequencing
|| Digital Point of Load System Controller
|| Single Output LDO, 3.0A, Adj.(0.8 to 3.3V), Fast Transient Response, Programmable SoftStart
|| 3A Sink/Source DDR Termination Regulator
What software and tools are available for the C6472?
- C6472 EVM is a low cost, easy-to-use software debug platform for high performance application development. It includes:
- Single C6472 processor
- 256MB of 533 MHz DDR2
- 64MB Nand Flash
- 1 Mb I2C EEPROM for local boot (remote boot possible)
- 2 RGMII 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports with MDIO
- RS232 UART
- Single module 170-pin AMC expansion for SRIO, TSIP, EMAC1, and I2C
- C6455 EVM pin-compatible HPI daughter card connector
- 2 user programmable LEDs and DIP SWs
- 14-pin JTAG emulation with USB Host Interface (provided as an upgrade option)
- Board-specific Code Composer Studio™ Integrated Development Environment
- Simple setup
- Includes design file such as Orcad, Gerber
- Board support library accelerates software development on the EVM
How do I get access to the C6472 EVM?
- Link to EVM Folder (html-http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders/print/tmdsevm6472.html)
- MSP430 MMC Code for low-cost EVMs
- CCSv5.1 Free CCS licenses for C64x EVMs [Activation Instruction - Step 2]
What DSP Software Libraries are available for the C6472?
- See list of tools and software here (http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tms320c6472.html#toolssoftware)
DSP Software examples and resources
TI 3rd Parties: C6472 Developer Network
|Sundance DSP||Two 6472 DSPS stand alone board with FPGA features TI CCS debugging environment|
|Surf Comm||AMC form factor DSP farm for ATCA/uTCA. 2 DSPs per AMC card expandable to 4 AMC cards per board with Voice/Video SW Engine|
|eInfochips||C6472 EVM Vendor|
Additional Information, Training, and Support
|Where do I go for more information?||
|Where do I go for training?||
|Where do I go for support?||
|Where can I download the lastest C6472 CSL?||