Please note as of Wednesday, August 15th, 2018 this wiki has been set to read only. If you are a TI Employee and require Edit ability please contact x0211426 from the company directory.
DM814x C6A814x AM387x PSP 04.01.00.02 Release Notes
This document covers details for TI814x 04.01.00.02 release. This release is tested on DM8148EVM
- 1 TI814x PSP 04.01.00.02
- 2 Read This First
- 2.1 Introduction
- 2.2 Documentation
- 2.3 What's Supported
- 2.4 What's Not Supported
- 2.5 Fixed in this Release
- 2.6 New in this Release
- 2.7 Known Issues
- 2.8 Installation and Usage
- 2.9 Upgrade and Compatibility Information
- 2.10 Dependencies
- 2.11 Device Support
- 2.12 Validation Information
- 2.13 Versioning
- 2.14 Technical Support and Product Updates
TI814x PSP 04.01.00.02
Release Date: Feb 3, 2011
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.
Read This First
1) The kernel NAND driver now uses 1-bit h/w ECC and U-Boot is also updated accordingly. So it is mandatory to re-flash the latest U-Boot along with kernel and filesystem (if using NAND based kernel and/or filesystem) as provided in this release before proceeding to boot the 04.01.00.02 kernel.
2) The serial console device names in this kernel are changed from ttySx to ttyOx. This means you will need to change the boot arguments passed to kernel and the /etc/inittab file in the filesystem accordingly when booting the 04.01.00.02 kernel. Please refer Using The Correct Console Device section in User Guide.
3) You might need to update the DHCP script in your filesystem when using network mounted root filesystem with the kernel from this release. Please refer Updating the DHCP Script section in User Guide.
4) The parameter passed to mkfs.jffs2 while creating JFFS2 image has changed, please refer "Creating JFFS2 File-system" section under "U-Boot NAND Support" in U-Boot User Guide.
5) The steps for flashing jffs2 image to NAND from U-Boot has changed, please refer "Flashing File-system from U-Boot" section under "U-Boot NAND Support" in U-Boot User Guide.
This is Release 04.01.00.02 of TI814x Linux PSP tested on DM8148 EVM. The EVM consists of base board. In the rest of the document, we will refer this setup as DM8148 EVM.
The Linux PSP serves to provide a fundamental software platform for development, deployment and execution of Linux based applications on Texas Instruments DM8148 EVM. The Linux kernel and U-Boot software in this release are based on the following open source repositories:
|Component||Version||Base Repository||Base Tag (or commit id)|
|TI814x Linux Kernel||2.6.37-rc3(Linux kernel version)||http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap-2.6.git;a=commit;h=5a5ae19658c9492493261eb44a842a46596a18a6||5a5ae19658c9492493261eb44a842a46596a18a6|
The code base for Linux kernel and U-Boot included in this release is hosted at the following repositories:
|Component||Repository (Branch)||Baseline Tag/Commit||Release Tag|
|TI814x Linux Kernel||http://arago-project.org/git/projects/?p=linux-omap3.git;a=summary (ti81xx-master)||5a5ae19658c9492493261eb44a842a46596a18a6||v2.6.37-rc3_TI814XPSP_04.01.00.02.patch2|
|TI814x U-Boot||http://arago-project.org/git/projects/?p=u-boot-omap3.git;a=summary (ti81xx-master)||v2010.06||v2010.06_TI814XPSP_04.01.00.02|
For detailed information on the various software components included in the release and how to use them, please refer to the User Guide.
The kernel and U-Boot have been compiled with CodeSourcery GNU Toolchain for ARM Processors 2009-q1-203 based on GCC 4.3.3
The User Guide provides instructions on how to use the PSP Release package. A copy of the UserGuide is included in the docs folder of the package.
SDK package includes support for DM8148 EVM platform.
The Linux PSP package supports the following components:
- U-Boot supporting NAND, SD and SPI, boot modes
- Linux Kernel and device drivers.
- MUSB host driver supporting Mass Storage Class and HID class on USB0 and USB1.
- SPI (PIO mode)
- Video Display Driver(FBDev)
- Pre-built binaries for U-Boot (for SD and NAND boot mode only), Linux kernel.
- Pre-Built binaries for NAND and SPI flash writers.
What's Not Supported
- Following are not supported:
- PCIe Boot
- PCIe RC driver
- NOR Boot
- Ethernet Boot
- HDMI Audio
- TVP5158 Audio
- ADC3101 Audio
- The release package does not include a filesystem image
Fixed in this Release
This section lists issues fixed in this release:
| Issue Identifier
|| Issue Headline|
|SDOCM00074654||Top command always displays per process CPU load as 0%|
|SDOCM00077516||U-Boot does not read MAC address from eFuse registers|
|SDOCM00077309||SD boot clk config missing|
|SDOCM00072641||USB MSC: Device node is not deleted after USB harddisk unplugged and also device unplugged notification is not seen|
New in this Release
- Updated to Linux 2.6.37-rc3 kernel from linux-omap git
- NAND 1-bit h/w ECC support in U-Boot and Kernel (Enabled by default)
- SD Boot
- SD Driver in Linux
This section lists known issues observed in this release:
| Issue Identifier
|| Issue Headline
|| Known Workaround(s)|
|| Audio: Overrun, underrun errors observed for less period sizes less than 64 frames
|| Fourth test(try to write off end of device) in mtd_oobtest is failing for read on third mtd partition
This is a limitation in Linux NAND stack. Fourth mtd_oobtest will fail if used in intermediate partitions in a flash device. Hence if mtd4 is used for mtd_oobtest it would succeed.
||Kernel build throws warnings||
These warnings will not be fixed as they are from common kernel or Omap OMAP(2/3) source.
||NAND 4 bit ECC not supported in TI814x||
This is a hardware issue and will not be supported.
|| Linux SD driver cannot detect SD card hot insertion
|| Make sure to insert SD card before booting|
|| MMC/SD card's write protect status is not detected
|| Host does not enumerate devices connected to all the ports of a port multiplier.
|| Do not use 0th Port of the port multiplier and connect the required devices to the remaining ports of the port multiplier|
|| USB: While USB Audio record and playback there is underrun error displayed on the console
|| USB Module support: USB Modular feature (insmod/rmmod) is not supported
|| Known issue|
|| Defconfig: The default ti8148_evm_defconfig throws warning when mulitmedia support and UVC usb class is selcted
|| USB:Gadget:Perrformance: The Write performance is very poor for USB Gadget with SATA as storag device
|| Known issue|
|| Kernel build fails if IOMMU Debug-FS is enabled in kernel configuration
|| Disable iommu debug-fs support during kernel configuration (menuconfig)|
|| CCS based JTAG flashing tool can be used only to flash bootloader
|| For other images use u-boot or uart boot mode.|
|| HDMI PLL doesn't get locked on some of Centaurus boards. Will be fixed in PG2.0 version of Silicon
|| Try on other Board.|
Installation and Usage
Please look for detailed installation and usage instructions in the User Guide
Upgrade and Compatibility Information
To upgrade to new PSP release, simply delete the old release and extract the new release in its place.
This release supports the Texas Instruments DM8148 EVM
This release is tested on DM8148 EVM with SDK filesystem (link to be updated).
ARM is running at 600 MHz and DDR2 at 333 MHz.
This is 04.01.00.02 release of TI814X Linux PSP product.
Technical Support and Product Updates
OMAP Linux Mailing List: http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-omap </div>