The eZ-FET lite is a low cost USB-based on-board emulation solution for MSP430 microcontrollers. It allows direct interfacing to a PC for easy programming, debugging, and evaluation and provides a USB-to-UART bridge for serial connection to the target microcontroller.
The eZ-FET lite on-board emulation is supported by the MSP430 DLL and can be used with IAR Embedded Workbench™ for MSP430 Integrated Development Environment (IDE) or Code Composer Studio™ (CCS) IDE to write, download, and debug applications.
The debugger is unobtrusive, allowing the user to run an application at full speed with hardware breakpoints and single stepping available while consuming no extra hardware resources.
The following picture shows an example of the eZ-FET lite on-board emulation. The emulation components are placed within the red highlighted areas.
- USB debugging and programming interface featuring a driverless installation
- Application UART serial communication with up to 1MBaud
- Green and red LED for visual feedback
- Field-updateable firmware
- Supports all MSP430 devices compatible with SBW programming
- Schematic, reference layout and production test software available as open source package
Hardware and Software Requirements
The following hardware and software is required to use the eZ-FET on-board emulation
- Personal computer with Windows O/S or Linux
- MSP430 Debug Stack (MSP430.DLL 18.104.22.168 or higher)
- Texas Instruments Code Composer Studio 5.4 or higher
- IAR Embedded Workbench 5.50 or higher
- Do not change eZ-FET Lite layout. Changes could cause functional failures. In case of failures Texas Instruments will not give any support.
- Make sure that you use the correct firmware and tests images matching you eZ-FET Lite firmware.