The eZ430-F2013 is a complete MSP430 development tool including all the hardware and software to evaluate the MSP430F2013 and develop a complete project in a convenient USB stick form factor. The eZ430-F2013 supports the Code Composer Studio and IAR Embedded Workbench KickStart Integrated Development Environments to provide full emulation with the option of designing with a stand-alone system or detaching the removable target board to integrate into an existing design. The USB port provides enough power to operate the ultra-low-power MSP430 so no external power supply is required.
- eZ430-F2013 development tool including a USB debugging interface and detachable MSP430F2013 target board
- eZ430-F2013 target board
- 14 user accessible pins
- eZ430 debugging and programming interface
- Removable USB stick enclosure
- Includes IAR Kickstart and Code Composer Studio MCU Core Edition which include an assembler, linker, source-level debugger and C-compiler
Target boards using the MSP430F2012 can be purchased separately. See the eZ430-T2012 on the TI website.
Projects and Sample Code
- MSP430F2013 Code Examples
- EZProbe: turn your EZ430 into a logic probe
- Simple Led Driver (8 LED). Code, Schematic, parts list .
- MSP430 eZ Design Contest held in 2006, lots of projects, but taken off the web..
Popular, free options for writing code on the eZ430-F2013 include the following:
Both options are code size limited to 4KB and 16KB for the CCS and IAR, respectively. However, the MSP430F2013 only contains 2KB of Flash so the IDEs are effectively restriction free for the eZ430-F2013.
1. What version of the software tool are you using? It is recommended that only the latest version be installed for proper functionality.
2. Are you using a valid OS?
- The eZ430 emulator only works with Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.
3. When your device is plugged in does the LED blink?
- Code is preloaded onto the EZ430-F2013 Target prior to shipping, and will blink this LED when power is supplied to the MSP430. This indicates that the device is receiving power.
4. Did your PC prompt you for driver installation process or am I correct in saying this device in question never was recognized by any PC while in your possession?
- If you were not prompted, have you tried to install this ez430 on a second PC using the installation guide steps on page 14 of the EZ430 User’s Guide? If you were prompted, did you follow the aforementioned steps? This should help you identify a PC issue.
5. Did your software tool prompt you for a firmware upgrade?
- If so, you should say “No” or ignore that suggestion or else the tool may be rendered useless after that.
6. After the above steps have been performed please do the following: If you create a new project using the following steps (IAR, CCE) and attempt to load a simple TI code example do you see the same issue? This should rule out software setup considerations & limit possible issues to the drivers.
7. Please email TI support back the newly created workspace and files using the steps above, back to us in a zip file so we may take a look at it. Also please send a screen image of the error message. Please perform this test on a TI Target board using TI debugger if possible.
8. When the device in question are plugged in to your PC, please send TI a screen shot of the device manager with PORTS (COM & LPT) expanded and Multiport Serial Adapters expanded as well.
Known issues with the EZ430-F2013
The Error is usually: "Failed to initialize device" or cannot enter the debugger
1. Usually there's some kind of driver conflict. You can go into Device Manager and see if it's trying to use a COM port that's already in use, or disable some of the other virtual COM ports. Sometimes a program occupies all of the COM ports so the emulator cannot communicate. Exit that program and it'll work! Sometimes the computer assigns the eZ430 a COM port that is already in use, so IAR cannot communicate with the emulator. If you disable the conflicting peripheral, your ez430 should work.
2. Works by adjusting what COM port the driver was supporting. --Install IAR
--Plug in the UIF device. Let the installers run and the Adapter installer fail.
--Now right click on My Computer ==> Manage ==> System Tools/Device Manager ==> Port(COM & LPT).
--You should find a line that says MSP-FET430UIF-Serial Port (COM#). The COM# is probably fairly high.
--Double click on that line and click on PROPERTIES> --Click on the Port Settings tab, then Advanced.
--Change the COM # to a low COM number like COM2.
--Now close that and reboot.
--Now try running IAR.
3. Check all devices using a serial port; Even devices that do not show up on the Device Manger. For example, If you kill the Hot-Sync Manager for a Palm V (which uses a COM port), it could solve the issue. The debugger starts up and talks to module.
4. If a yellow exclamation mark appears next to a driver entry, then it is likely that the EZ430 drivers are not installed correctly.
For all applicable entries, right-click and choose “update driver” (see below screen image). Once the Hardware Wizard appears go through the install process detailed on page 14 of the EZ430 User’s Guide.
Missing Capacitors Issue
Capacitors C6 or C9 are missing on the PCB: The cap sits right behind the hole in the side of the enclosure. A knife or screw driver pushed into this hole to open the enclosure can easily remove the cap.
Uninstall and Reinstall
Sometimes the FET drivers can become corrupted and will result in no longer being able to connect through the FET tool. Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers usually corrects this issue. The following steps can be followed to accomplish this:
Connect the UIF and uninstall the drivers within the Device Manager. Two drivers need to be uninstalled:
Please see these drivers in the screenshot below. To uninstall, right click on the driver and select Uninstall.
Once the drivers are uninstalled, disconnect the UIF and reconnect it. You will then be prompted to install the drivers. For this, just follow the procedure outlined in Appendix E of the MSP-FET430 Flash Emulation Tool User’s Guide SLAU138.