Please note as of Wednesday, August 15th, 2018 this wiki has been set to read only. If you are a TI Employee and require Edit ability please contact x0211426 from the company directory.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 HW Architecture
- 3 SW Architecture
- 4 Suggested Reading
- 5 Support
The EZ430-RF256x is a complete TI Bluetooth evaluation and demonstration tool for the MSP430 and CC256x that includes all the necessary hardware and software in a convenient USB stick.
- You can follow this link to see Step by Step out of box instructions.
- We also have a short FAQ for troubleshooting the EZ430-RF256x Kit.
- The EZ430-RF256x can be used as a stand-alone development tool. Additionally, the RF256xT target board also may be detached from the debugging interface and integrated into another design by removing the plastic enclosure.
This platform is composed of the CC256x Bluetooth device and the msp430f5438A microcontroller. Additional key terms. The tool also comes with a sample PC game that you can play using the CC256x target board as a remote controller.
The table below depicts briefly the hardware and software partition of this platform.
- The EZ430-RF256x is intended as a software and end design evaluation platform. It is not intended for hardware evaluation purposes and does not contitute a reference hardware design. As such, TI does not provide schematics and/or layout information. Customers wishing to leverage TI's Bluetooth connectivity should design using Panasonic's Bluetooth modules.
- The EZ430-RF256x SDK license requires that the MSP430BT5190 must be used only in combination with TI Bluetooth solutions such as the CC256x for end product production.
The target board features an MSP430F5438A and most of its pins are routed out. Please refer to the PAN1323ETU Design Guide for more information.
The EZ430-RF256x kit can be ordered here in order to evaluate the solution. The kit content is listed below:
- 2 target boards with MSP430BT5190 and PAN1323 Bluetooth module
- 1 Battery pack with 2 AAA batteries
- 1 USB emulator
- plastic case for emulator + target board
- CD and Quick Start Guide
- USB debugging and programming interface (emulator board) featuring a driverless installation and application backchannel
- PAN1323 which contains TI's CC256x – TI single-chip Bluetooth v4.0 solution
- MSP430F5438A – 25MHz, 256KB Flash, 16KB RAM, 12Bit ADC, 4-USCIs, 32-bit HW Multi
- Interactive sample PC game for demonstration of Bluetooth use in a remote control application
- VTI's 3-axis accelerometer with user selectable 2g and 8g measurement range and capable of sub-11uA current consumption at 40/10Hz sample rate.
- Temperature sensor with accuracy as low as +/-2 degrees celsius from -40C to +85C.
- Supports software development with the MSP430BT5190 microcontroller
- Two application LEDs, one power LED
- Two application buttons, one reset button
- Multiple debug headers
- Removable USB stick enclosure
- EZ430U supports maximum UART baudrate of 9.6kbps (please note that this is an EZ430U HW limitation).
- uEVM debug header is not populated.
RF256xT Target Board Architecture & Pinout
- Please refer to the PAN1323ETU Design Guide for more information.
EZ430U USB Debugging I/F Connector Pinout
This connector is present on the backside of the target board and provides access to more pins of the MSP430BT5190 on board.
The footprint of the connector can be populated with a DF40C-40DS-0.4V connector, readily available at distributors such as Digikey and Mouser.
The connector's functionality is as follows:
- FreeRTOS is ported on the MSP430BT5190 device to support the Bluetooth stack for read and write tasks.
- Users can develop their own application and interact with the Bluetooth stack APIs to enable Bluetooth connectivity on their end products.
- MSP430BT5190-CC256x Developers Guide contains detailed information on the software architecture and Bluetooth stack APIs.
- The primary sources of MSP430 information are the device-specific data sheets and user’s guides.
The most updated information is found at www.msp430.com
- Information specific to the EZ430-RF256x development tool: http://www.ti.com/tool/ez430-rf256x
- Detailed information on MSP430BT5190+CC256x platform: processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/MSP430_Bluetooth_Platform
- TI CC256x product bulletin: focus.ti.com/pdfs/wtbu/cc2560_slyt377.pdf
- Panasonic PAN1315A Bluetooth module (CC256x based): www.panasonic.com/industrial/electronic-components/rf-modules/bluetooth/pan1315.aspx