Please note as of Wednesday, August 15th, 2018 this wiki has been set to read only. If you are a TI Employee and require Edit ability please contact x0211426 from the company directory.
Generating and Loading MSP430 Binary Files
This Wiki document gives necessary instructions to (1) generate MSP430 binary files (.txt/.hex files) using both IAR and CCS, and (2) download the binary files onto MSP430 device.
How to Generate MSP430 Binary Files
- 1. Select the project for which the binary files are to be generated and then Open Project -> Options
- 2. In the Options window select the category Linker
- 3. Then click OK to close the Options window.
- 4. Next select Project -> Rebuild All to generate the binary file. In this case, the .txt file that is generated can be found under the “Output” folder of the project. The file can be located under the folder path: …Project Folder\Debug\Exe\
Using CCS v5.x
- 1. Select the project for which the binary files are to be generated and then Open Project -> Properties
- 2. In the Properties window select the category Build.
- 3. Then click OK to close the Properties window.
- 4. Next select Project -> Clean.. and Build Project to generate the binary file. In this case, the .txt file that is generated can be found under the “Debug” folder of the project. The file can be located under the folder path: ….Project Folder\Debug\
Using CCS v6.x
- 1. Open "Project" -> "Properties" -> "Build" -> "MSP430 Hex Utility", check the "Enable MSP430 Hex Utility" option.
- 2. After enabling the MSP430 Hex Utility, go to Open "Project" -> "Properties" -> "Build" -> "MSP430 Hex Utility" -> "Output Format Options", choose "Output TI-TXT hex format (--ti_txt)" for "Output format".
- NOTE: When generating an output file in Intel-hex format, in addition to selecting this format one also needs to set the "Specify data ordering (endianess) (--order, order)" parameter to "MS", and the "Specify rom width (--romwidth, -romwidth)" to "16" in the hex utility's "General Options" configuration screen.
Download Binary files onto the MSP430 device
Shown below is the hardware set-up required to load the binary files onto the MSP430 device
- Download the free PC GUI tool from Elprotronic (MSP430 3rd party tools manufacturer). The tool can be downloaded from the following link: Download Now. For downloading the latest tool version, visit www.elprotronic.com/download.html and look for FET-Pro430 Lite Software
- The Lite version of the Elprotronic tool supports the following binary file formats:
- Open the PC GUI and select appropriate micro-controller group and device
- Select the binary file that needs to be downloaded onto the device using “Open Code File ->” button.
- Pressing the AutoProg button on the GUI would download the binary file onto the device.
Note: To change between JTAG and SBW options in the GUI tool, open Setup -> Connection/Device Reset and select between JTAG (4 wires) or Spy Bi Wire (2 wires) options in the Target's Connection/Reset Options window.