OMAP-L138 designer's resource guide
About this resourse guide
There are plenty of resource in TI website and here just make it clearer for you to get the entrance rapidly without much documentation first. You can go thru these resource link and get the concept for the chip / platform quickly.
For deeply development, you should read the specs, Application notes and resource in OMAPLx Wiki carefully. For any question / issue, you can leave your message to TI E2E™ Community - OMAPL1x Processors Forum.
H/W designer's resource
TI provides some verified reference board for your development that is EVM.
- Refer to OMAP-L138 EVM H/W design, you need to register LogicPD for further downloading maybe. LogicPD EVM include C6748 SOM and it use mDDR.
- Spectrum Digital AM1810 EVM, it supply schematic and PCB layout file, it use DDR2. AM1810 is pin to pin compatible with OMAP-L138.
- Also you can use Hawkboard, it use DDR2.
- Go through OMAP-L138 data sheet and OMAP-L138 silicon errata to know the latest silicon revision, silicon bug and the workaround.
- You can get the schematic check list here for your reference.
- To setup and bootup the EVM board quickly, you need the UART download or CCS version flash tool for the board. The default flash storage is SPI flash on eXperimenter board and NOR/NAND flash are all on the UI board.
- UART boot and download tool
- Refer to the link Serial_Boot_and_Flash_Loading_Utility_for_OMAP-L138.
- You need to change the code to according to your own board configure(DDR2 and flash driver) and recompile the executable program.
- CCS flash writer
- In the PSP release, for example DaVinci-PSP-SDK-03.20.00.14\src\utils\, there are some flash writer for NOR/NAND/SPI FLASH/MMCSD. You can use CCS to run the code and write programs to flash for boot.
- PCB design
- OMAP-L138 Applications Processor System Reference Guide
- TMS320C674x/OMAP-L1x Processor Peripherals Overview Reference Guide
- Understanding TI's PCB Routing Rule-Based DDR Timing Specification
- USB 2.0 Board Design and Layout Guidelines
- TMS320C674x/OMAP-L1x USB Compliance Checklist
- Sequencing OMAP-L138 with TPS65070
- You can download the simulation models and other useful information / documentations from the product folders, OMAP-L138.
- Schematic symbol and PCB footprint download.
- You can get the Simulation Models for OMAPL138 here.
- If you are using a DDR2 SDRAM, please use the reference GEL file for your CCS debug OMAPL138_ARM_GEL.zip.
- And if you have something error on board boot, please check the board configure with the OMAP-L1x_Debug_Gel_File.
S/W(including driver) designer's resource
TI has rich reference software for customer development including BSL(Board support libs - which is focusing on the Board components verification) StarterWare(no-OS platform support) and Linux DVSDK(Digital Video Software Development Kit) which include a set of software and data(codec engine, framework components etc) for development under Linux. Meanwhile, you can get the completely PSP(Platform Support Package which already included in DVSDK) Maybe you are confused by these names somehow for the BSL,StarterWare,DVSDK, PSP. Below is the resource link for these SW components.
- For the EVM board related support software package, you can refer to LogPD Website for more infomation and download (BSL) thru your logon account. For BSL, you can download from LogicPD website named "OMAP-L138 / TMS320C6748 / AM1808 SOM-M1 Gel, CCS Setup, & BSL Files (CCS v4.2)" and after extracting, a folder named "CCSv4-2_with_SOM-M1_BSL_WS" will be found. You can compile and do the test with CCS and JTAG connection(the GEL files for ARM and DSP are also included in this zip file).
- You can find the StarterWare SW download page here.
- You can find DVSDK here.
- Also you can download PSP here.
- Now, you can get the software, but how to compile and make the target files out? don't worry, you can refer to the documents in the release folder you just downloaded for the build process, requested tools, and what is the target files.
For example, if you get the PSP with the version DaVinci-PSP-SDK-03.20.00.11, then you can get the "UserGuide-03.20.00.11.pdf" in the folder "DaVinci-PSP-SDK-03.20.00.11\docs". In this user guide, there is detailed description for the "building the UBL, U-BOOT, uImage", "download to flash", and almost information you are interested.
When start the software development you also can refer software design guide.
You can get the latest PRU UART daughter board and source code from below mistral website here.
Tools & Utilities
Maybe some additional utilities are needed for downloading, compilation, and development.
- You can download the Serial Boot and Flash Loading Utility for OMAP-L138 here
- For other compiler tools, you can find them in the SW part.
- You can download TI S/W components DSP/BIOS, Codec Engine, xDAIS and so on via your my.ti.com account.
- You can download TI CodeGenerationTools via your my.ti.com account.