- 1 TI Android Eclair DevKit V1 Release Notes
- 1.1 Introduction
- 1.2 Documentation
- 1.3 What's Supported
- 1.4 What's Not Supported
- 1.5 New in this Release
- 1.6 Known Issues
- 1.7 Installation and Usage
- 1.8 Device Support
- 1.9 Versioning
- 1.10 Technical Support and Product Updates
TI Android Eclair DevKit V1 Release Notes
Release Notes - July 30, 2010
This is TI's Devkit V1 release based on Android Eclair 2.1.1 for AM35x EVM, AM37x EVM, OMAP35x EVM, Beagleboard Rev Cx, Beagleboard XM platforms.
This release serves to provide
- Fundamental software platform to build Android based products with TI devices.
- Give Android application developer a stable integrated foundation software.
- Provide benchmark numbers to evaluate Android based solutions with other distributions on TI devices
- A single release package that comprises of all TI components (bootloader, kernel, Tools), TI differentiators (like 3D graphics based on SGX, Overlay libraries) and Android standard components.
|Component||Version||Base Repository||Base Tag (or commit id)|
|OMAP Linux Kernel||2.6.32(Android Linux kernel version)||The baseline was chosen from "PSP" release from http://arago-project.org/git/projects/linux-omap3.git||OMAPPSP_03.00.01.06_baseline|
The filesystem was built by integrating the sources from rowboat.org project hosted on rowboat gitorious Project.
The codebase for Linux kernel, SGX kernel drivers, U-Boot included in this release is also hosted at the following repositories:
|Component||Repository (Branch)||Commit ID / Baseline|
|OMAP Linux Kernel|| http://gitorious.org/rowboat/kernel
For detailed information on the various software components included in the release and how to use them, please refer to the .
The Android sources, SGX drivers, Kernel and U-Boot have been compiled with GNU Toolchain for ARM Processors from Android pre-built package ARM Tool Chain GCC 4.4.0
The User Guide provides instructions on how to use the TI's Android Eclair DevKit package. A copy of the User Guide is included in the docs folder of the DevKit package.
The User Guide also gives instructions on building the Android root filesystem using Android sources maintained on rowboat repositories.
This SDK package includes support for the OMAP35x EVM, AM35x EVM, AM37x EVM, Beagleboard Rev Cx, Beagleboard XM.
Software features/components supported in this SDK are
- Android Linux Kernel 2.6.32 integrated with PSP (03.00.01.06) drivers
- Bootloader (u-boot) and x-loader
- SGX Open GL Driver & Libraries
- Android Eclair 2.1.1 release from Google Android
- Example Applications and Demos
- Desk Clock, Browser, Calendar, Calculator, Contacts, Gallery, GlobalSearch, Launcher, Music, Settings
- 3D Graphics - OpenGLES demos including Vase, etc
- User Guide
- Release Notes
- CTS report
- Software Manifest
- Filesystem Manifest
- Host Tools
- Flash Tool
- Pin Mux Utility
- ADB over USB
- ADB over Ethernet
- ADB over Ethernet through USB
- Connecting Eclipse (as provided by Android) with the EVMs, Beagleboards
Complete directory structure of DevKit
TI_Android_Eclair_DevKit-V1 |-- Android_Source_Manifest | `-- TI-Android-Eclair-DevKit-V1.xml |-- Docs | |-- CTS_Report.tar.gz | |-- TI-Android-DevKit-FS-Manifest.doc | |-- TI-Android-DevKit-Software-Manifest.doc | `-- TI-Android-Eclair-DevKit-V1_UserGuide.pdf |-- Filesystem | |-- rootfs_am35x.tar.bz2 | |-- rootfs_am37x.tar.bz2 | `-- rootfs_omap35x.tar.bz2 |-- OMAP35x_Android_SGX_SDK.tar.gz |-- Prebuilt_Images | |-- AM35x_EVM | | |-- MLO | | |-- boot.scr | | |-- u-boot.bin | | |-- uImage | | `-- x-load.bin.ift | |-- OMAP35x_AM37x_EVM | | |-- MLO | | |-- boot.scr | | |-- u-boot.bin | | |-- uImage | | `-- x-load.bin.ift | `-- beagleboard | |-- MLO | |-- boot.scr | |-- u-boot.bin | |-- uImage | `-- x-load.bin.ift |-- Sources | |-- Android_Linux_Kernel_2_6_32.tar.gz | |-- boot-strap | | `-- x-loader-03.00.02.07.tar.gz | `-- u-boot | `-- u-boot-03.00.02.07.tar.gz |-- TI-Android-Eclair-DevKit-V1_ReleaseNotes.pdf `-- Tools |-- flash-utility.tar.gz |-- mk-bootscr | |-- README | |-- mkbootscr | `-- mkimage |-- mk-mmc | |-- README | `-- mkmmc-android.sh |-- pinmux-utility.tar.gz `-- signGP |-- signGP `-- signGP.c
What's Not Supported
- The following items are not supported:
- U-boot (Unified binary supporting Nand/OneNand on OMAP35x platform)
- AM/DM37x Processor card with Micron Memory
- Audio Record feature in Android
- Power Management
- USB Mass Storage
- WLAN, Bluetooth connectivity
New in this Release
- This is the first release, please refer to section above on the Supported features.
|Component||Issue Description|| Workaround
|Software||Running the Audio Record application from Android fails|| NONE
||To be fixed in future release|
|Software||The Keypad on AM35x EVM doesn't work||Use USB Keyboard||To be fixed in future releases|
|Software||Pinmux Utility: could not resize the GUI, so could not see what the other button on the bottom right corner is.|| User may need to adjust the display resolution of their Windows PC
||To be fixed in future releases|
|Software||Pinmux utility requires Left-click to select a peripheral interface cell. The cell should be auto selected when user right-click it.|| No impact to functionality. Just a note on the user interface.
|| To be fixed in future releases|
Installation and Usage
The Devkit release is maintained as a single "TI_Android_Eclair_DevKit-V1.tar.gz" and individual component packages.
On a Linux Host PC download the single release package and execute the following components
#> tar -xzvf TI_Android_Eclair_Devkit-V1.tar.gz
Please refer to the TI Android Eclair DevKit User Guidefor more information on how to install and use the DevKit
Other individual packages can be used to refer to respective components.
The md5 checksums are provided for users to double check or verify the completeness of downloaded package.
This release supports the following Texas Instruments devices
- OMAP35x, AM35x, AM37x
This release supports the following platforms
- Texas Instruments AM37x EVM (on the Mistral Rev G AM3715EVM)
- Texas Instruments AM35x EVM
- Texas Instruments OMAP35x EVM (on the Mistral Rev G OMAP35x)
- Beagleboard Rev Cx
- Beagleboard XM
This is Release DevKit-V1
Technical Support and Product Updates
For further information or to report any problems, contact http://e2e.ti.com "Android" or http://support.ti.com.
For community support join http://groups.google.com/group/rowboat
For IRC #rowboat on irc.freenode.net