Please note as of Wednesday, August 15th, 2018 this wiki has been set to read only. If you are a TI Employee and require Edit ability please contact x0211426 from the company directory.
DM816x C6A816x AM389x PSP 04.00.00.10 Release Notes
This document covers details for TI816x 04.00.00.10 release. This release is tested on DM8168/C6A8168/AM389x EVM (Base board + Daughter Card required for second Ethernet port and NOR).
- 1 TI816x PSP 04.00.00.10
- 2 Read This First
- 2.1 Introduction
- 2.2 Documentation
- 2.3 What's Supported
- 2.4 What's Not Supported
- 2.5 Fixed in this Release
- 2.6 New in this Release
- 2.7 Known Issues
- 2.8 Installation and Usage
- 2.9 Upgrade and Compatibility Information
- 2.10 Dependencies
- 2.11 Device Support
- 2.12 Validation Information
- 2.13 Versioning
- 2.14 Technical Support and Product Updates
TI816x PSP 04.00.00.10
04.00.00.10 Release: Feb 16, 2011
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.
Read This First
- Pre-built U-Boot binaries in the release package are for DDR3 @400MHz clock
- The parameter passed to mkfs.jffs2 while creating JFFS2 image has changed, please refer "Creating JFFS2 File-system" section under "U-Boot NAND Support" in U-Boot User Guide.
- The steps for flashing jffs2 image to NAND from U-Boot has changed, please refer "Flashing File-system from U-Boot" section under "U-Boot NAND Support" in U-Boot User Guide.
In addition, note following changes applicable for release 04.00.00.09 onwards:
- The kernel NAND driver uses 1-bit h/w ECC and U-Boot is also updated accordingly. So it is mandatory to re-flash the latest U-Boot along with kernel and filesystem (if using NAND based kernel and/or filesystem) before proceeding to boot the kernel.
- The serial console device names to be used are changed from 'ttySx' to 'ttyOx'. This means you will need to change the boot arguments passed to kernel and the /etc/inittab file in the filesystem accordingly. Please refer "Using The Correct Console Device" section in User Guide.
- The kernel in release will not boot with U-Boot from release(s) earlier to 04.00.00.06, unless 'machid' environment variable is set correctly. Please refer "Setting up Machine ID" section form User Guide for more details.
- You might need to update the DHCP script in your filesystem when using network mounted root filesystem with the kernel from this release. Please refer "Updating the DHCP Script" section in User Guide.
- This release was not validated with IO daughter card (IODC).
This is Release 04.00.00.10 of TI816x Linux PSP tested on DM8168/C6A8168/AM389x EVM. The EVM consists of base board (Rev B DDR2/DDR3) with daughter card having second Ethernet port and NOR. In the rest of the document, we will refer this setup as DM8168 EVM.
The Linux PSP serves to provide a fundamental software platform for development, deployment and execution of Linux based applications on Texas Instruments DM8168 EVM. The Linux kernel and U-Boot software in this release are based on the following open source repositories:
|Component||Version||Base Repository||Base Tag (or commit id)|
|TI816x Linux Kernel||2.6.37(Linux kernel version)||http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap-2.6.git;a=commit;h=2b3ea6aa16956e15f1ba8e7b70898aaacbec2237||2b3ea6aa16956e15f1ba8e7b70898aaacbec2237|
The code base for Linux kernel and U-Boot included in this release is hosted at the following repositories:
|Component||Repository (Branch)||Baseline Tag/Commit||Release Tag|
|TI816x Linux Kernel||http://arago-project.org/git/projects/?p=linux-omap3.git;a=summary(ti81xx-master)||2b3ea6aa16956e15f1ba8e7b70898aaacbec2237||v2.6.37_TI816XPSP_04.00.00.10|
|TI816x U-Boot||http://arago-project.org/git/projects/?p=u-boot-omap3.git;a=summary (ti81xx-master)||v2010.06||v2010.06_TI816XPSP_04.00.00.10|
For detailed information on the various software components included in the release and how to use them, please refer to the User Guide.
The kernel and U-Boot have been compiled with CodeSourcery GNU Toolchain for ARM Processors 2009-q1-203 based on GCC 4.3.3
Please refer the User Guide included in the docs folder of the package for how to use the PSP Release Package.
PSP package includes support for DM8168 EVM platform.
The Linux PSP package supports the following components:
- U-Boot supporting NAND, NOR, SPI, SD and Ethernet boot mode
- Linux Kernel and device drivers.
- Ethernet - CPGMAC0 and CPGMAC1
- Host mode supporting Mass Storage, HID and ISO Audio/Video Class (USB0 and USB1).
- Gadget mode supporting Mass Storage and RNDIS (USB0)
- SATA (2 ports)
- SPI (PIO mode)
- HDMI Character Driver for Video
- Video Display Driver(FBDev)
- PCIe RC
- PCIe EP Boot Driver (Booting DM8168 EP from DM8168 RC)
- Watchdog Timer (Requires h/w modifications on EVM)
- Pre-built binaries for U-Boot (for SD and NAND boot mode only, with DDR3 @400MHz clock), Linux kernel.
- Pre-Built binaries for NOR, NAND and SPI flash writers.
- NAND 1-bit h/w ECC support in U-Boot and Kernel (Enabled by default)
What's Not Supported
- Following are not supported:
- HDMI Audio
- TVP5158 Audio
- ADC3101 Audio
- The release package doesn't include filesystem image
- Currently U-Boot doesn't handle PCIe Boot procedure. Refer PCI Express Boot Driver User Guide for booting DM8168 EP in PCIe Boot mode using another DM8168 as RC.
Fixed in this Release
This section lists issues fixed in this release:
|SDOCM00075227||Sequencial fb open calls fail if notify driver fails to register event of first fb open call|
|SDOCM00077516||U-Boot does not read MAC address from eFuse registers|
||MTD layer dumps a full NAND page while trying to mount rootfs using jffs2 on NAND|
||Host does not enumerate devices connected to all the ports of a port multiplier|
||Getting "Empty flash" error while flashing jffs2 filesystem on NAND|
||Unmounting a SATA HDD displays some debug messages|
||USB: reboot of netra evm causes [Warning] crashes in usb musb-driver |
||USB/RNDIS: Flood Ping of 512 bytes from windows xp to TI816XEVM stops after few seconds |
||Defconfig: The default ti8168_evm_defconfig throws warning when mulitmedia support and UVC usb class is selcted|
||Incorrect info in the user-guides|
||NOR boot failure in PSP-04.00.00.07|
New in this Release
Following features have been added since version 04.00.00.09:
- Updated to Linux 2.6.37 kernel from linux-omap git
- Sysfs entries Changed in video Driver, refer VPSS Video User Guide for details.
- GPIO driver support
This section lists known issues observed in this release:
||USB MSC: Device node is not deleted after USB harddisk unplugged and also device unplugged notification is not seen
||Memory corruption with interleaving config for DDR2
This issue is known issue and observed only on very few setups. Try using different H/W setup as the interleaved configuration is necessary to achieve performance requirements.
||Audio: Overrun, underrun errors observed for less period sizes less than 64 frames
|| Using period-sizes more than 64 frames is recommened.|
||Linux crashes if built with NOR support (physmap CFI query) and NOR is disabled in EVM
There is no way to detect form Linux if NOR is enabled in EVM. Make sure to enable NOR in the board if using kernel with NOR support.
||Fourth test(try to write off end of device) in mtd_oobtest is failing for read on third mtd partition
This is a limitation in Linux NAND stack. Fourth mtd_oobtest will fail if used in intermediate partitions in a flash device. Hence if mtd4 is used for mtd_oobtest it would succeed.
||Kernel build throws warnings||
These warnings will not be fixed as they are from common kernel or Omap OMAP(2/3) source.
||NAND 4 bit ECC not supported in TI816x||
This is a hardware issue and will not be supported.
||u-boot does not boot if both NAND and NOR are enabled in EVM
This is a known issue. Both NAND and NOR uses GPMC_CS0 hence both cannot be enabled.
If u-boot is built for NAND boot then enable only NAND in EVM
If u-boot is built for NOR boot then enable only NOR in EVM
||Linux SD driver cannot detect SD card hot insertion
||Make sure to insert SD card before booting|
||EMAC Boot:EMAC boot does not work if the link is auto-negotiated to Gigabit speed||
Need to carry out boot operation in 10/100 Mbps mode.
||Performance degradation for various peripherals (NAND, NOR, SATA Read)
||PCIe Boot: Kernel gets stuck randomly during boot when boot driver is built into kernel and DM8168 PCIe EP device is not connected or is switched off
||This is a known issue cause due to udef device cache in filesystem. Please refer PCI Express Boot Driver User Guide for details about fixing the filesystem. |
||PCIe RC driver fails to reliably enumerate the downstream device(s) when PRSTn is set as OUTPUT on the EVM
||This is a known issue and requires board modification to fix PWRGD line control in output mode. Please refer PCI Express Root Complex Driver User Guide for details. |
||NAND boot on some EVMs needs reset switch to be pressed
||Press reset button SW9 on the EVM after power on.|
||Audio capture failure in mmap mode
||This issue occurs when the verbose flag is passed and is not seen older versions of alsa-utils. When using alsa-utils 1.0.23 not passing the verbose flag is recommended.|
||Round Trip Time measured for Syslink modules are higher then the expected values.
||Low performance for MMC/SD reads and writes compared to other platforms sharing same h/w IP and driver.
||Transfering large file size of 8GB to USB HardDisk Drive does not work.
||Kernel build fails if IOMMU Debug-FS is enabled in kernel configuration
||IOMMU debug-fs should always be built as module|
||TILER : Passing less memory to Linux kernel will crash memmanager test suite
||Pass 512MB to Linux kernel|
||USB: TI81XX: rmmod followed by insomd of ti81xx.ko failed
||No work around|
||USB: TI816X: Both USB0/USB1 port does not work and Babble condition occurs on PG1.1 DDR3 EVMs. Need LongReset as Workaround.
||USB: While USB Audio record and playback there is underrun error displayed on the console
||USB:Gadget:Perrformance: The Write performance is very poor for USB Gadget with SATA as storag device
||USB:TI81XX: The Video capture and playback from creative camera does not work
Installation and Usage
Please look for detailed installation and usage instructions in the User Guide
Upgrade and Compatibility Information
To upgrade to new PSP release, simply delete the old release and extract the new release in its place.
This release requires following tools/packages to be installed for fbdev/v4l2 drivers:
- Syslink : 02.00.00.67_alpha2
- HDVPSS Binary : 01.00.01.26
This release supports the Texas Instruments DM8168/C6A8168/AM389x (on DM8168 EVM)
This release is tested on DM8168 EVM (Rev-B DDR2/DDR3) with C6A816x/AM389x filesystem built from arago.
ARM is running at 987.4286 MHz and DDR2 at 400 MHz (effective 800MHz data rate) or DDR3 running at 400MHz clock.
This is 04.00.00.10 release of TI816X Linux PSP product.
Technical Support and Product Updates
OMAP Linux Mailing List: http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-omap