NOTICE: The Processors Wiki will End-of-Life in December of 2020. It is recommended to download any files or other content you may need that are hosted on processors.wiki.ti.com. The site is now set to read only.
How to add a JVM
Starting in v4.3, Processor SDK documentation is no longer hosted on processors wiki.
Please bookmark the new links:
- Linux, RT-Linux: http://software-dl.ti.com/processor-sdk-linux/esd/docs/latest/linux/index.html
- RTOS: http://software-dl.ti.com/processor-sdk-rtos/esd/docs/latest/rtos/index.html
- Android: http://software-dl.ti.com/processor-sdk-android/esd/docs/latest/android/index.html
Return to the Sitara Linux Software Developer's Guide
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Download the JVM
- 3 Install the JVM
- 4 Running a benchmark - Pendragon Software's CaffeineMark(tm) ver. 3.0
- 5 Archived
This article shows the steps necessary to add an Oracle Hotspot Java Virtual Machine (JVM) to your Sitara SDK. Due to the licensing of this JVM, it can not be delivered with the Sitara SDK. You must download it and install it separately. Customers wishing to evaluate this JVM should also investigate and evaluate the Oracle Hotspot license. You must download the JVM that matches the ABI of the SDK version you are using. (see Download for more information)
Download the JVM
- Select the version that matches your processor.
- ARMv7 for Cortex-A8
- ARMv5 for ARM9
- Select a version that matches the ABI of the SDK, either hard float or soft float.
- Hard float - for SDK 06.00 and later
- Soft float - for SDK 05.07 and earlier
- Select the headless version. To use the full capabilites of the headful version, you need to have some windowing support like X11 in your filesystem. Sitara SDK currently does not support X11. However if you download the headful version, you can run Caffeinemark, but you will not be able to use the display capabilites.
- Before you can download, you have to agree to their license and click through a few required inputs.
- Download the JVM
This can be done from the Oracle link:
For Early Access Release for the Hard float ABI: link: https://jdk8.java.net/download.html
Install the JVM
- Untar the JVM to your target filesystem. It can go anyplace you want. For this wiki we are assuming you install at /home/root
- See this article if you're not sure how to untar
- Setup your PATH environment variable on your target filesystem to point to the location of the "java" executable which can be found in the "bin" directory located in the root directory of the JVM.
- to automate setting of the PATH, add the following line to the file: /etc/profile (NOTE: for this example version 1.7.0_04 was used, your version may be different)
- add the above line before the following line which is found near the bottom of /etc/profile
export PATH PS1 OPIEDIR QPEDIR QTDIR EDITOR TERM
- Now each time you login, your path will be automatically set up to include the "java" executable from your installed JVM. By typing "java -version", you can verify you are setup correctly.
- you should see the JVM version displayed similar to the results below. Your version may be different depending on which one you downloaded:
root@am335x-evm:~# java -version java version "1.7.0_04-ea" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment for Embedded (build 1.7.0_04-ea-b20, headless) Java HotSpot(TM) Embedded Client VM (build 23.0-b21, mixed mode)
Running a benchmark - Pendragon Software's CaffeineMark(tm) ver. 3.0
Caffeinemark is a Opensource benchmark which can be downloaded here: http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/cm30/info.html
- Download the embedded version to your target file system.
- To run:
- Benchmark information:
- There are 6 tests associated with the Embedded version. Each tests runs for about the same amount of time and reports back how many iterations of the test could be completed in allocated time period. The higher the score the better. There is also an overall result which takes in to account all the test results.
Results for Caffeinemark running on Sitara
The following results were performed without independent verification by Pendragon Software and Pendragon Software makes no representations or warranties as to the result of the test
AM37x EVM running with a MPU clock rate of 1GHz
AM37x EVM achieved a CaffeineMark(tm) 3.0 score of 16046 running on linux-2.6.37
root@am37x-evm:~/ttt# java CaffeineMarkEmbeddedApp Sieve score = 13991 (98) Loop score = 29054 (2017) Logic score = 24167 (0) String score = 8910 (708) Float score = 10483 (185) Method score = 18603 (166650) Overall score = 16046
AM335x EVM running with a MPU clock rate of 720MHz
AM335x EVM achieved a CaffeineMark(tm) 3.0 score of 11172 running on linux-3.2
root@am335x-evm:~/ttt# java CaffeineMarkEmbeddedApp Sieve score = 9747 (98) Loop score = 20384 (2017) Logic score = 17383 (0) String score = 6047 (708) Float score = 7091 (185) Method score = 13136 (166650) Overall score = 11172
AM180x EVM running with a MPU clock rate of 300MHz
AM180x EVM achieved a CaffeineMark(tm) 3.0 score of 2213 running on linux-2.6.37
root@am180x-evm:~/CaffieneMark# ../ejre1.7.0_06/bin/java -version java version "1.7.0_06" Java(TM) SE Embedded Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_06-b24, headless) Java HotSpot(TM) Embedded Client VM (build 23.2-b09, mixed mode)
root@am180x-evm:~/CaffieneMark# ../ejre1.7.0_06/bin/java CaffeineMarkEmbeddedApp Sieve score = 2185 (98) Loop score = 4852 (2017) Logic score = 3624 (0) String score = 1533 (708) Float score = 570 (185) Method score = 3502 (166650) Overall score = 2213