Please note as of Wednesday, August 15th, 2018 this wiki has been set to read only. If you are a TI Employee and require Edit ability please contact x0211426 from the company directory.
- 1 TI Android GingerBread 2.3.4 DevKit 2.1.1 Release Notes
- 1.1 Introduction
- 1.2 Documentation
- 1.3 What's Supported
- 1.4 What's Not Supported
- 1.5 Installation and Usage
- 1.6 Known Issues
- 1.7 Version
- 1.8 Technical Support and Product Updates
TI Android GingerBread 2.3.4 DevKit 2.1.1 Release Notes
Release Notes - December 09, 2011
This is TI-Android-GingerBread-2.3.4-DevKit-2.1.1 release based on Android GingerBread 2.3.4 for AM335x platform.
This release serves to provide
- Fundamental software platform to build Android based products with TI devices.
- Give Android application developer a stable integrated foundation software.
- Provide benchmark numbers to evaluate Android based solutions with other distributions on TI devices
- A single release package that comprises of all TI components (bootloader, kernel, Tools), TI differentiators (like 3D graphics based on SGX) and Android standard components.
See below table to find information on various individual components
||Repository (Branch)||Commit ID / Baseline||Base Repository
||Commit ID / Base Tag|
|AM33x Linux Kernel||3.1
|SGX Release||ddk 1.7
For detailed information on the various software components included in the release and how to use them, please refer to the
The Android sources, Kernel and U-Boot have been compiled with GNU Toolchain for ARM Processors from Android pre-built package
The SGX drivers have been compiled with GNU Toolchain version 4.4.3 for ARM Processors from Android pre-built package
||Provides instructions on how to use the TI Android GingerBread 2.3.4 DevKit 2.1.1 package. A copy of the User Guide is included in the docs folder of the DevKit package. The User Guide also gives instructions on building the Android root filesystem using Android sources maintained on rowboat repositories.
||Provides instructions for Android developers to get access to Android sources for TI devices, setting up host environment for compilation and enabling debug environment to ease the app development, debugging and deployment.
||Gives the benchmark numbers for various parameters and peripherals
||Provides information on porting packages like Matrix Keypad, Audio, WLAN/BT, etc for other platforms
This release supports the following Texas Instruments devices
This release supports the following platforms:
- Texas Instruments AM335x GPEVM Rev-1.1B
- Beaglebone Rev-A3
Following software components are supported in this DevKit:
- Android GingerBread 2.3.4 release from Google Android
- Android Linux Kernel 3.1
- Android GCC toolchain 4.4.3
- Bootloader (secondary program loader and u-boot)
- SGX OpenGL ES Driver & Libraries DDK v1.7
- WLAN and Bluetooth Firmware and Compat Drivers for TI's WL1271
- Built-in Applications and Demos
- Browser, Calculator, Camera, Clock, Contacts, Custom Locale, Music, Search, File Manager, Spare parts (developer apps)
- Dev Tools, Downloads, Gallery, IMEs for Japanese, Chinese, and Latin text inputs, Speech recorder, RowboPerf
- 3D Graphics - OpenGLES demos.
- Peripherals drivers
- MMC/SD, UART, Ethernet, Matrix Keypad, Volume Keys, LCD, Touchscreen
- USB(Host and Gadget) , Audio out/in, WLAN, Bluetooth
- User Guide
- Release Notes
- Developer Guide
- Porting Guide
- RowboPERF (Performance measurement) application user guide
- Software Manifest files
- Host Tools
- Pinmux Tool
- MMC/SD Card Generation Utility
- Android Debugging
- ADB Debugging over USB and Ethernet
- TI's CCSv5 using Android ADT plugins
- Test and Performance Reports
- Performance, benchmarking results
- Test results from our validation
- Google Android's Compatibility Test Suite (CTS) report
Complete directory structure of DevKit
TI_Android_GingerBread_2_3_4_DevKit_2_1_1 |-- Application_Notes | |-- Android_Boot_Time_Optimization.pdf | |-- Android_Memory_Analysis.pdf | `-- TI-Android-GingerBread-2.3.4-DevKit-2.1.1_PortingGuides.pdf |-- Debug_and_Development_Tools | |-- Pinmux_Tool | | `-- PinMuxUtility_02_02_01_00.zip | |-- TI_Android_Utilities | | `-- mk-mmc | `-- TI_Code_Composor_Studio | |-- TI-Android-CCSv5SetupGuide.pdf | `-- setup_CCS_5.0.2.00006.tar.gz |-- Documents | |-- BeagleBone-Android-DevKit_Guide.pdf | |-- RowboPERF_User_Guide.pdf | |-- TI-Android-GingerBread-2.3.4-DevKit-2.1.1_DeveloperGuide.pdf | |-- TI-Android-GingerBread-2.3.4-DevKit-2.1.1_ReleaseNotes.pdf | `-- TI-Android-GingerBread-2.3.4-DevKit-2.1.1_UserGuide.pdf |-- Performance_and_Validation_Results | |-- Android_Benchmarks_DevKit2.3.4v2.1.1.pdf | |-- CTS_Report.tar.gz | `-- Test_Results.tar.gz |-- Prebuilt_Images | |-- AM335x_EVM.tar.gz | `-- BeagleBone.tar.gz `-- TI_Andorid_GingerBread_2_3_4_Sources |-- TI-Android-GingerBread-2.3.4-DevKit-2.1.1.xml |-- TI_Android_DevKit_Software_License_Manifests.tar.gz `-- TI_Android_GingerBread_2_3_4_AM335x_Sources.tar.gz
New features in this Release
Note: First AM335x EVM Release
Issues fixed in this Release
Note: First AM335x EVM Release
What's Not Supported
- The following items are not supported:
- Support for Open Accessory Libraries with Android 2.3.4 release
- Bluetooth connectivity for HSP and HFP profiles
- Power Management Features (Suspend-Resume, DVFS, CPU Idle, OFF Mode)
- Nand UBIFS and Fastboot
Above listed features will be supported in upcoming releases.
Installation and Usage
The DevKit release is maintained at http://software-dl.ti.com/dsps/dsps_public_sw/sdo_tii/TI_Android_DevKit/TI_Android_GingerBread_2_3_4_DevKit_2_1_1/index_FDS.html
Please refer to the TI-Android-GingerBread-2.3.4-DevKit-2.1.1 User Guide for more information on how to install and use the DevKit
||Compatibility apps: Replica Island is not installing, and LunarLauncher is not working.
||0xbench libmicro memset test is failing
||Webview client is not displaying webpages.
||Intermittent flicker observerd while playing webm videos
||Wi-fi and Graphics demos do not work when booting with NFS file system.
||No network connection pop-up message is always displayed the first time the browser app is opened
||This issue is observed only while using ethernet. Using Wi-Fi network doesn't pop-up the message.|
||Netcfg is not listing the ip address of the Wifi interface
||Airplane mode feature is not working properly
This is Release TI Android GingerBread 2.3.4 DevKit 2.1.1
Technical Support and Product Updates
For further information or to report any problems, contact http://e2e.ti.com/android or http://support.ti.com.
For community support join http://groups.google.com/group/rowboat
For IRC #rowboat on irc.freenode.net
To raise any defect for this release please use http://code.google.com/p/rowboat/issues/list